Monday, November 15, 2010

Like A Son

     I'm wondering how the mind of a teenage boy works. 
     This morning I got a call from my son, shortly after he left to walk to school, reporting that someone found it funny to write F*** Nick on our door and a penis on our garage door.  Oh, and a large happy face, as if that made it all better.  For some reason, my heart is breaking.
     My son's best friends frequent our tiny apartment to hang or play Xbox, often.  They are always welcome.  In fact, they walk right in.  They help themselves to my food and drink, and most call me "Mom".  I love that they are that comfortable.  Why, then, would one or more of them vandalize the property at which  we live?  Not only that, but write a derogatory phrase toward Nick?  Kids will be kids, right?  Uh uh.  Not on a rental.  Not at all, but definitely not on property that I do not own! 
     I have an idea who did it.  And that makes my hurt even greater, as he is a good kid, but can be a stinker (much like my own).  And he is just about Nick's best friend--one of my favorite visitors.  He, like so many of my son's friends, is like a son to me.  I feel free to tell him to hold down the noise, or not dis someone, or stop eating so much, 
     Although my son said he would clean up the graffitti after school, I did it, as I would not have the obscenities staring at the street all day.  This is not an easy thing for me to do.  Scrubbing, thanks to my diseases, leaves pain and weakness.  Nick's best friends know that I have a disease that makes doing some things difficult.  Apparently, they/he don't/doesn't care about us as much as I thought. 
     I had to call the Sheriff.  They said to report it to the landlord to find out how to procede.  So then I had to answer to my landlord.  Although he was glad to hear it was cleaned up, he wants to press charges if the person(s) are found.  This will leave me with an ethical dillema, if it is who I suspect it to be.  The landlord thinks that perhaps 30 hours of painting somewhere will teach the offender a lesson, but I just don't see that happening.  This is a town of 800, with one full time cop.  Around half the population are children.  There is little for them to do, but take walks, or drive around.  And those things get mischevious sometimes.
     My son is popular.  Perhaps this comes with that.  Years ago, our house/property was TP'd by my then stepdaughter's friends.  She too, was popular.  I don't know.  I was not popular, nor did I live in town.  I am just confused.  And all that keeps running through my mind is "how could they/he do that"? 
     Lately, in this tiny town there has just been too much of this going on.  Thefts, vandalizations.  I know it's not all done by one person or group.  It's small town entertainment.  I spose I should "get over it".  But, it's hanging on.  The hurt and disappointment are sticking with me because the one I suspect is like a son.  And I would expect more from my son.
     I hope above hope that I am wrong in my suspicions.  I hope it is one of the usual suspect trouble makers.  We may never know.  But, I'll always wonder who found insulting my son good fun.

1 comment:

  1. I hate that your son's name was associated in that context. I know it hurts you and I hope that your son knows not to take it personally. Kids/teens can be assh#*@s. I know I was at points and I can't even comprehend acting the way I did, now. Your heart will guide you in what to do with this situation. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete