Saturday, February 18, 2012

ROOM TO JUDGE

     Last Saturday Whitney Houston, iconic pop singer, passed away unexpectedly. Upon seeing it scroll across the bottom of my TV screen, I was stunned. And yet not. At just a couple years younger than me, the thought that death could be so close was unsettling, even though it was most likely due to her lifestyle--her choices in spouse, "support" circle, and recreation. How many of us speculated, even to ourselves, that her lifestyle would kill her.


     Today, as I get reacquainted with her work, it occurred to me, that my lifestyle could easily be endangering my life. In fact, my recent doctor appointments would suggest just that. I am 100 pounds over an even remotely healthy weight.  As a result I struggle with high blood pressure, borderline cholesterol, and activity induced asthma.  My "drugs" of choice?  Birthday Cake Ice Cream, Reese's--sugar in general. Poor diet. No fruit or veggies because they would go bad before I could eat them all, and I can't afford to waste one cent.  So, that leaves alot of peanut butter sandwiches, not on whole wheat because I am the only family member (of two) that will eat it.  And NO activity. Fibromyalgia limits what I can do, as does the asthma.  It just seems ridiculous to me to exercise for 30 minutes to be unable to move without searing pain for a week. 


     So, you see I am in no position to judge her life, her struggles, her choices. I am no position to judge anyone.  Ever.


     As social media does, it has run this unfortunate story into the ground.  At first, as I said, I was stunned and saddened to have a true songbird stifled.  Then the comparison pictures started circulating. Pictures of Ms. Houston next to starving children stating tears are shed for her and not them.  Or her picture next to the coffins of our fallen war heroes, again stating our heroes are not grieved.  I take offense to both.


     It is like apples and oranges.  One set is with us every single day.  Children starving everywhere, even in our own neighborhoods.  It is angering and gut wrenching.  I've never understood how a game show can give away a million dollars, while people starve.


     The other, our fallen war heroes, are again--at least for me--present in my consciousness daily.  I am honored to know many that have fought, and by God's grace returned to us.  I can't imagine being the parent to see the uniforms walk up their sidewalk, knowing why they are there. As I said, this is an ever present thought, because, you see, my 15 year old has wanted to enter the service since age nine.  And I knew when he first told me, he was serious.  At first it was Navy. So much so that the gals in the school office called him "Navy Nick".  For a couple years now, it has been the Marines.  So serious is he, that the school counselor had a Marine come to the school for my Freshman boy.  That's just not done.  He is going to be a Marine, plain and simple.  So, in 3 1//2 years, if the world continues on the track that it is, he will be in a war. And that makes the fallen of this war a punch in the gut everytime I hear of, or see coverage of hundreds of caskets draped in our Flag.


     So don't you dare accuse me of not shedding tears for our fallen.


     Apples to oranges.  Ms. Houston's passing was a shock, much like waiting for the toast to pop up, then jumping when it does.  She was young.  She was famous, not just for her life's challenges, but for a dynamic voice that many have tried to duplicate, but have not even come close.  A beautiful, young, gifted woman that suddenly passes will send shock waves whether she is famous or not.  What makes her passing different is the fame, the press, and social media. I have chosen to avoid the televised funeral because I believe funerals are for family and closest of friends.  I am neither.  I am simply a fan.  And I have shed some tears...for her music.  Much of it affected me deeply as a young woman, not knowing what she was to this world, or what she was doing in this world.  Belting out "The Greatest Love of All" through tears still reminds me who that young woman was, and why she was here.


Thank you Ms. Houston, for your unique service to the world.  Rest now.

2 comments:

  1. You know the thing I thought about when I heard of her passing. I thought about Madonna, who put on such an awesome halftime show during the Superbowl just a week or two before. I mean, these 2 ladies were musical contemporaries and both rose to fame at about the same time. Madonna was born August 16, 1958; and Whitney was born August 9, 1963.

    One breathing new life into her career, and another . . . had finished her life's path. I just found that so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And about the overweight part, and the exercise, and eating habits - I hear ya! Hubby and I both could use to lose some weight too. And we too have physical problems that make that a problem.

    About the bread, have you thought of buying a loaf and freezing part of it up? I have read where people will buy bread on sale and freeze it up. That might be an option for you.

    ReplyDelete