Saturday, July 30, 2011

LIVING AROUND IT OR "JUST DO IT"

     After rereading comments to this blog, it seems I have dropped the ball.  I have written about things going on in my life, and topics that have spurred my interest.  I have paid tribute to  loved ones, and our country.  However, as noted by one comentor, I have not written about how I "live around it."


     I spent some time thinking about that.  I coined that phrase because I believe that the illnesses aren't going to budge, so I must live in and around what they throw at me.  I have bitterly accepted my physical limitations.  Once teased for having broad shoulders and being able to lift 100 pounds, I now have...broad shoulders.  Once able to run a mean sprint, I can no longer run.  Not that I want to...never did care for it.


     I refuse to believe, however, that I have limitations mentally.  There are medications and counselling available to keep my mind sharp, witty, and smart.  Just don't ask me what I walked into a room for...  Being able to afford the necessary meds is a struggle at times, but thanks to social network and the kind supportive words of friends and family, I can limp through.


     But, how do I "live around it"?  Other than getting out of bed at the pace I am able, showering when my pain level permits it (without danger of falling), and taking whatever pain medication is necessary (when available), I don't have any steps or wise words to aid others.  I just survive.  I would say "live", because I am, in fact, alive, but doing what I do on a daily basis hardly qualifies as "living".  That is probably as much due to finances as it is to health.  Perhaps if I had any extra money, I'd venture out once in awhile.  But everything must be calculated...right down to the gas in the truck.  So, I get up, survey the land, do what I can, then I sit down and connect with others.  Until sitting hurts.  Then I get up and shuffle a chore or two.  Until that hurts, at which point I lie down and hope for some rest. 


     Rest?  REST??  What did I do all day to need rest?  Survive.  Usually on three hours sleep, through level 7 (and above) pain, with dizziness and brain fog.  Now that's multitasking!


     So, I would tell you to live as best fits you.  Try to block out the "shoulds", and embrace the moments that make you smile.  And always, always be open to help to others with their pain.  Knowing the you've helped someone else to "live" really is living! 



     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment