Saturday, April 9, 2011

What I've Learned From Facebook (or Making My Addiction Work For Me)

     It has been about three years since I discovered the world of social networking.  Oh, I'd IM'd and emailed, but was not aware that I could go to a place to share with the world that I was me and although Me may not be exciting, I existed.  In that time I've learned lessons in courtesy, compassion, and community.
    For instance, you do not have to know someone physically or personally to feel their anguish or joy.  And something as simple as clicking the work "Like" or adding a simple wish can uplift a person halfway around the world.  When you do know the "friend" from school or long lost job, you will find that you are now quite similar, as life's journeys take us all in a similar direction.  The high school "clique" no longer exists.  You become fellow parents, business persons, divorcees, widowers.  The co-workers have gone through their own trials and now understand your struggles as their own.
     Diseases become more familiar to more people.  I have, as I've mentioned before, Fibromyalgia (among other health delights) and the word that put a quizzical look on the face of locals, is suddenly common and acceptable.  We are not alone.  Nor are sufferers of countless other ailments.  The "new" term "invisible disease" is common on Facebook.  It encompasses countless diseases that don't show, outwardly, to most people.  We, the sufferers support each other.  Our pain.  Our frustrations with ignorance, insensitivity, and simple unwillingness to learn.
     As a disabled sufferer, I find myself with alot of time on my hands each day.  I do whatever house chore my pain and fatigue allows for the day, do some stretches....then what.  Well, what do ya know...? Facebook has games.  Thousands of games.  The first game I got really caught up in was FarmTown.  It seems a lifetime ago.  As I became more involved (yes, we'll call it involved), I learned some simple things:
          If you help your neighbor, they will gladly help you.
          Gladly accept any help you are offered, whether you need it or not.  Taking time out of one's day to gift is generous.
          If you don't get what you expected , do not have a temper tantrum and demand to get what you want or be "unfriended".  Generally speaking, anyone that acts like that hasn't many friends in the first place. (See First Grade Handbook.)
          If you spend much of your time giving "neighbors" what they need, you will receive exactly what you need without asking.
        "Thank you" goes a loooong way.,
     I have created real friendships with people I have never, nor probably will ever meet.  They have not seen anything but a face shot.  Well, that and some God-awful vacation pics from 1970,  They like me.  Goofy, Moody, Smart, Compassionate, ME.
     So, Social Networking has much to offer, you see.  Of course Mark Zuckerburg knew that years ago...where was I when he was drunkenly "Facemashing"?  Oh that's right.,..I had a real life!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment