Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Young Woman I Never Knew

     Last night, in our tiny town, a beautiful young woman died.  As of this time, I do not know the cause.  She just...passed.  She was a year younger than my ex-stepdaughter, which makes her around 19.  I did not know her as I did many of the other girls around that age.  I did not know her favorite color, or music group, or even if she played many sports.
     What I do know is: Her father works with my ex, and is a funny, smart man.  Her mother is hilarious, and seems game for any kind of fun.  I know she was beautiful.  I know she was mischievous.  I know she rode her four wheeler too fast.  I know she helped others as a CNA.  I know that I always confused her with another girl that shared the ride to UWP with my ex-stepdaughter.  I know she enjoyed life with many friends doing what friends in a town of 800 do.  I know she didn't take a bad picture.  All in all, I don't know much.
     And yet, my heart aches tremendously for those that did know her.  As a parent, I ache for hers--not even able to comprehend such a loss.  As a friend, I ache for her friends, now having to deal with the hole in the group.  I hope they can fill that hole with great memories and hysterical mishaps.  As a member of the community, I ache for all the people she touched even for a minute, with a 'hi' or a smile.
     The world, the community, the gang, the family, is one person shy of complete today.

No comments:

Post a Comment